1/2 cup butter1/2 cup vegetable shortening1 egg yolk2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar,sifted,,divide use1 grated orange peel3 tbsp orange juice1 tbsp amaretto2 1/2 cups wheat flour, sifted3oz. Almonds toasted and chopped1/2 tsp. salt3oz almonds, skinless and halved
1. Place butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy.
2. Add egg yolk, 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, orange peel, orange juice and amaretto. beat for one minute.
3. In another bowl mix flour, chopped almonds and salt; add to the shortening mix by tablespoons until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Line a sheet pan with waxed paper and preheat ove to 325 F.
5. Once the dough has rested, make balls from about two tablespoons of dough and top each with an almond half. Arrange on sheet pan, leaving space between them so they do not touch when cookies spread during baking.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until edges are slightly golden.
7. Remove cookies from pan, let them cool and sprinkle them with the remaining powdered sugar.
Mouth watering cookies, good for every occasion